The assistant editor helps the chief editor in his work. He searches out on different topics and articles to make Chief Editor’s work easy. He uses his sources to contain more information about various topics he is working on from national and local libraries.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main responsibilities of an Assistant Editor are to:
- Handle and do the research using all his resources and find suitable documents in local and national documentations, public and private both.
- Use derivative sources in local and national libraries and information obtainable on the internet.
- Manage detailed records of the research undertaken.
- Complete fieldwork.
- Help out in the writing of the articles and collect all the relevant information necessary to the editor’s work.
- Communicate with staff on the Editor’s command.
- Modify and prepare accurate texts for publication both in electronic layout and in hard copy.
- Help out in preparation of maps and selection of illustrations for the writing work.
Skills and Qualifications
The required knowledge and skills are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English.
- Experience in editing and journalism.
- Articulate ideas clearly and logically.
- Concentrate amid confusion and to work under pressure.
- Awareness of Pc software used to unite online text with graphics, audio, video and animation.
- Thorough attention to detail.