Following is a sample job description template for the position of Radio Operator:
Job Title: Radio Operator
Location of the Job: McLean/Arlington, VA
Years of Experience: 2 to 4 Years
Job Type: Full Time Employee
Education Level: High School or equivalent
Radio Operator-Maintainers are primarily responsible for all maintenance checks and services on assigned radio communication equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate radio equipment in order to communicate with ships, aircraft, mining crews, offshore oil rigs, logging camps and other remote operations.
- Repair radio equipment as necessary, using electronic testing equipment, hand tools, and power tools.
- Prepare and transmit messages
- Turn controls or throw switches in order to activate power, adjust voice volume and modulation, and set transmitters on specified frequencies.
- Operate sound-recording equipment in order to record signals and preserve broadcasts for purposes such as analysis by intelligence personnel.
- Examine and operate new equipment prior to installation in order to ensure that it performs properly.
- Coordinate radio-related aspects of locating and contacting airplanes and ships that are missing or in distress.
- Conduct periodic equipment inspections and routine tests in order to ensure that operations standards are met.
- Operate and perform preventive maintenance checks on assigned equipment
- Receive, record and process messages
- Maintain, test and repair communication equipment and security devices
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation Monitoring — Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Operation and Control — Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Salary: 12 – 15 USD /hour