Given below is a sample job description template for the position of GIS Technician:
Job Title: GIS Technician
Location of the Job: Kansas City, MO 64168
Years of Experience: 3+ to 5 Years
Job Type: Full Time Employee
Education Level: Bachelor Degree
A consulting firm is immediately seeking a GIS Technician. Must be proficient with ArcView or other similar GIS applications. Also, ideal candidate will have experience with Google Earth, Server Data Management Systems (SQL), and experience setting up Web Mapping Services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be the first line of support to end-users in terms of applications’ usages
- Report to project coordinator project problems and or completion of work task requested
- Ensure that products meet all accuracy requirements as identified in the client’s specifications
- Creates graphic files by means of DTM, centerline, digitizing or scanning
- Conduct basic routing of pipeline data
- Collate, plot, trim alignment sheets and prepare for mailing
- Ensure thorough, accurate and complete capture of information according to project requirements and standards for scope of service
- Enters data from source materials – Collects data from pipe and facilities database, interpret the data and enter data into a relational/spatial database
- Process and prepare tabular graphical data
- Assist Project Managers/Coordinators and Technical Managers in planning control points, project design and set-up
- Use ArcMap tools, wizards, and extensions to accomplish project objectives.
- Understanding of GIS concepts and principles.
- Create custom and standard map products for internal and external use as requested.
- Enter and manage data through database front-end and through raw tables.
- Understand and manipulate digital land base data in ArcMap environment (i. GPS points, aerial photography, parcel lines, street centerlines, etc.).
- Draw or re-align pipelines appropriately in ArcMap software based on historical information.
- Read and interpret legacy maps and engineering drawings of Company facilities.
- Ability to follow established procedure, but recognize when data don’t make sense. Responsibilities:
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting client and project objectives.
- Clearly and concisely communicate technical information and concepts with co-workers and management.
Salary: 14.00 – 18.00 USD /hour